Velvet

Default CH - most efficient way to run in cold weather?

Christian McArdle wrote:

With the current chilly weather, I'm mulling over the best (most
efficient) way to keep my place warm.

It will probably be more efficient to let it drop overnight, particularly as
your maisonette probably has low thermal mass. However, the difference might
not be all that great.

You really should install TRVs on all the radiators not in the thermostated
room. They could save you a lot of cash AND make you more comfortable as it
will prevent rooms overheating. It will also considerably reduce the
overshoot when heating from cold.

Christian.

For the same reason as the insulation, I'm not prepared to installed
TRV's. I don't own this place, long term rent (though that's not as
certain to continue as it used to be due to changed landlords).

Don't find it overshoots much, one of the reasons I have the stat set a
couple of degrees lower than normal - the overshoot brings it up to a
nice temp rather than being overly hot for a bit.

Will have to go look up thermal mass for an idea on what my place would
be catagorised as, I think. The age, building materials and style mean
there often seems to be quite a lot of difference between how it behaves
and how it should, window placements and the sloping ceilings etc.

Ta for the reply though, given me something else to go investigate.
Much appreciated.

Velvet