Jonathan Pearson

Default Slate floor products

wrote:

Chris,

pleasingly andy and the natural philosopher have covered it all, so briefly:

Going back to the adhesive, a £22kg bag of ardex was ment to cover 5sqm at
3mm thickness, i.e I should have only used 4 bags!, but maybe this was
because I adopted the suppliers advice of laying the thickest 1st.

More info see http://www.ardex.co.uk/arduflex_range.asp

Cutting: I bought a cheap (£20) diamond angle grinder blade from B&Q, superb
cut the slates like butter.

30 Stainstop
10 PowerClean
15 Colour Intensifier
150 Adhesive
15 Grout
50 Plywood
150 Tiles
-----------
420 Total

P.S. I think I've given up on the underfloor heating idea in favour of an
under cabinet fan convector. There would only have been room for electric
underfloor, and at around 300 quid to install, too. Is the floor
sufficiently warm (on suspended timber subfloor) to stand walking around in
socks?

Although we already had a large radiator in the kitchen, we decided to go
for underfloor heating (£400), wished we hadn't bothered as only had it on
once, mainly cos ardex suggested that the heating / cooling of the
timberfloor alters the moisture content eventually causing warping of the
timber, hence cracking of the slate, also its not that cheap to run, and
finally its not cold on your feet anyway.

Good luck
Jon