Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

Last week at my woodworker's club one of the relatively new members asked me
about finishing a cutting board he made out of walnut. My reaction was that
that was a poor choice of wood for a cutting board--adds some "flavor"
perhaps. However, with a finish on it would be OK for a serving board for
things like bread as long as no cutting was done on it...

It seems his daughter wants a cutting board made out of "dark wood." Off
hand I couldn't think any "dark wood" that would be appropriate for a
cutting board. Any suggestions? Did I overreact?

Hi John. I've not made a cutting board from walnut, but I have turned
several spatulas, spurtles and flippers from it. They have held up
beautifully for a couple years working sautes in oil, boiling water for
pasta and stirring up the steamed veggies'n'butter. I generally try to
hand wash and air dry these utensils but occassionally one of them has
been run through the dishwasher. I've never noticed any taste or other
ill effects and wouldn't hesitate to make more such walnut items.

I don't know how the wood holds up to knife cuts and the like over the
long haul, but otherwise I haven't seen any problems.

"Osama WHO?" asked *.