Mike Pio

"william kossack" wrote in message
news:GM54d.88317$D%.53564@attbi_s51...
OK
its says
17 gallon
9.9 CFM
150 psi

That size is going to limit the air tools you can use, but I don't think it
limits you from using a paint gun. Like I said, I've been using them for a
few years now with just a 25 gal compressor without issue. There seem to be
others in this thread who know are more knowledgable about paint guns in
particular. Hopefully they will respond now that your specs are posted.

Mike Pio wrote:
"william kossack" wrote in message

Well my birthday came and my wife gave me a Husky compressor from home
depot (she told me she picked the largest one she could get into her
car).

Now what to do?

I've been eying the paint guns and turbine compressors at both woodcraft
and rocklers but when I queried if the paint guns would work with my new
compressor I was told they would not.

For spraying I'm wanting end up with a really smooth surface. All the
finishing work I've done before has been hand padding shellac. Is there
a gun that will give me the same results but faster?

What is the actual size of the compressor (in gallons), and what is the
maximum psi? The size largely determines what tools can be used. I have
a small PC 25 gal portable compressor. I've had it for about 3 years and
have sprayed many projects with it. It's never "run out" of air b/c it
recovers quickly. I also use it for brad, finish and framing nailers
quite often (but those tools don't require a lot of air), and also for
dusting things off. The tools that eat up the air are sanders, sand
blaster machines, etc. I don't think mine could handle those tools,
although I've never actually tried them.

I've been eying the paint guns and turbine compressors at both woodcraft
and rocklers but when I queried if the paint guns would work with my new
compressor I was told they would not.

I don't see why you couldn't get paint guns for yours. That sounds odd.
I think the fittings are universal. That would be a pretty strange
compressor that couldn't support a basic thing like a paint gun.

For spraying I'm wanting end up with a really smooth surface. All the
finishing work I've done before has been hand padding shellac. Is there
a gun that will give me the same results but faster?

There are many guns on the market. I started out with a siphon feed gun
(cup on the bottom), but eventually moved to an HVLP spray gun. I like
this one much better b/c it requires much less psi, so there's a lot less
overspray. Clean it is easier too. You can get beautiful finishes with
a spray gun, but it's all in how you thin the paint, the spray technique,
etc. It takes practice, but it sure beats the cans of spray paint!

Good luck with your new tool!

-m