The Natural Philosopher

Default Kitchen Lights help please

Colin wrote:

Hi,

Would someone check my calculation please...

I have been considering fitting downlighters in my kitchen.

The kitchen is roughly 7m by 4m. Reading other posts on this BB it looks as
though I should go for around 15 downlighters + additional under cupboard
lights for effect...

My calculation is:

15 lights
50W per light
7p/Kw
Lights on 15 hours per day

15 * 50/1000 * 0.07 * 15 * 365 = approx £300 per year running cost. Any
additional under-cupboard lights are extra on top of this, as are
replacement bulbs, etc.

I assume that low voltage downlighters cost the same to run as mains
voltage(?)

Seems a bit steep to light just one room in the house!

[At the moment I have a 60w strip light and a 20W low voltage pendant which
gives adequate (but not sexy) lighting and only a tenth of the running
costs.]

Should I be considering something other than downligters? Is this the cost
of a modern-looking kitchen?

Colin

I am running 7x5m on just 9 downlightres and three 40W bubs. Its enough
for us, but it is not a bright modern appearance. Thats about 600W for a
similar sized room

However it does light the worktops and stove well enough, and the gaps
between are well enough lit to avoid trampling on the kittens, mostly :-)