Bob G.

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:53:58 GMT, brandt
wrote:

There are times I have really needed a drill press but have compromised
and used my hand held. I would really like to know two things:

1. The desktop models are only about 1/2HP compared to 2HP (floor).
Will this limit me in any way (used for drilling, and possible mortise
attachment)? When would I use the larger HP?

2. When do you use the larger distance between the chuck and horizontal plate?

Am I going to regret the limitations of the desk model?

Brandt

================================
In my shop I actually have three drill presses ... an old Craftsman
(NOT Crapsman) floor model I purchased in the early 60's ..a smaller
bench model Delta and a very inexpensive light wieght Delta that I
have mounted horizontally as a horizontal boring machine...

I use the floor model 95 percent of the time... The bench top was
purchased long ago instead of a dedicated morticer because I flet it
was a better use of my money to set it up as a morticer when needed
then to have a morticer sitting in the corner to be used only
ocassionally... In my case that was the correct decision...

The little delta that I have set up as a horizontal boring machine is
underpowered BUT works great ... I make a lot of doll furniture for my
wife to sell at craft fairs along with her dolls...and drilling holes
in the ends of 23 inch legs: for a 4 poster doll bed is a snap using
it...

My Vote....FLOOR MODEL and do not look back....

Bob Griffiths