Richard A.

MPost wrote:

I am looking for a relatively basic drill press to enable me to drill
straight holes in wood and to use as a mortising machine. Nothing too fancy.
I saw the Ryobi DP101 at Home Depot for $99...anyone have any experience
with it?

I bought it about two weeks ago. It runs smooth enough that I haven't
bolted it to my table yet. It has a crank to run the dp surface up and
down and a lever in the back to lock it down.

It feels solidly built to me and the belt for change speeds is easily
accessible. It even has a handy place to keep the chuck if you'll
actually use it.

I've been very happy with it but only time will tell how durable it is.

With a proper fence I don't see why you couldn't use it to make
mortises, but I am very new at this.

Richard