Phisherman

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:24:55 -0400, "Stephen M"
wrote:

Wow, I can see why some people don't like benchtop models.

I have a benchtop model which has served me well for a decade. The check to
table distance with the table in it's lowest position is well over a foot

I guess that means just don't buy a tiny benchtop model.

I have only said "gee, I wish I had a floor model" a few times. I consider
that pretty good. I wish I had better than 3" cutting depth on my cabinet
saw a few times too. Does that mean I should get a 12 or 14" table saw?

I think not.

-Steve

Twelve or 14" table saws are not the "standard," so you'll have to
deal with special issues. Plus there is a fairly large cost increase
for a 14" table saw, not that I'd complain about having one.

Drill presses are fairly inexpensive so a floor model is well worth
the extra cost. I'd recommend a well-known brand. The Delta 17-965
is recommended. It has 8.25" chuck to post clearance, 14" table,
4.8" quill stroke, 0.75 HP motor, 16 speeds, and a good 0.002" runout.
This sells for $400 retail. A step down from this is a Ridgid DP1550
for $300, and this model has an excellent low runout. A short quill
stroke can make drilling deep holes very frustrating, and that's
typically what you get with a benchtop model and lower cost floor
drill press models.

I use my drill press for sanding, buffing, making wheels, grinding,
mortising, etc and have been impressed with my Delta drill press
performance. One time I even tried using it as a lathe; it worked;
although that was a bit awkward.