Edwin Pawlowski

"brandt" wrote in message
news:2004092006535789745%babymakes4@REMOVEtelusnet ...
There are times I have really needed a drill press but have compromised
and used my hand held. I would really like to know two things:

1. The desktop models are only about 1/2HP compared to 2HP (floor). Will
this limit me in any way (used for drilling, and possible mortise
attachment)? When would I use the larger HP?

2. When do you use the larger distance between the chuck and horizontal
plate?

Am I going to regret the limitations of the desk model?

Brandt

There are various benchtop models. I have a 12" and it is the minimum I'd
recommend.

The floor models generally are more powerful and larger. They don't take up
all that much room in the scheme of things.

I do not regret buying the benchtop. It actually resided on my bench for a
year or so, then I build a cabinet for it. The cabinet has my small
compressor in the bottom, a drawer for the DP accessories, and the DP sits
on top It is on 4" casters so it can be moved around easily.

In the time I've had it, only maybe three times I wish I had a larger floor
model. If you want to put a hold in a large piece, it is nice to be able to
lower he plate that far. If you have the space and $$, get th e floor
model, if not, get at least a 12" benchtop, about $200