TWS

RonB wrote:
Brandt:

I have owned both. My two cents worth would be go for a floor model. Once
you have a drill press in your shop you are goning to find a lot of uses for
it and wonder how you lived without one.

1) You have already mentioned the mortiser. You can also do drum sanding,
precision boring and a host of other things with the machine.

2) I don't know what all you have in mind for the machine but 1HP will
probably take care of most shop needs. Also if you are primarily into
woodworking a tilt table is nice but the rotary table is iffy. After you
own it for awhile you might end up building your own auxilary table.

3) A floor model (without auxilary) table takes up relatively little
floorspace. If you get a bench model get a fairly beefy machine that has
similar head, tube and table as a floor model. Take a look at Grizzly,
Delta or even Craftsman for either kind.

I agree with Ron and if you put a mobile base on a flooring standing
unit you can easily move it out of the way when not in use (something
you can't say about a heavy bench unit).

TWS