Dan Cullimore

(Roonaldo) wrote in message m...
Hi,

I sent this post yesterday but it seems to have been lost in
cyberspace. Apologies in advance for any repetition !

I bought an old (50 years ! ) Craftsman table saw last year,it was
only 10 bucks and I thought it would give me a chance to learn how to
use the tool before investing any more. It can only handle rips up to
8" or so, so Ive now decided to upgrade.

(snip of other topic, unnecessary for what will follow)
Simon Burke

Simon:

I don't understand why you can only cut 8" rips--is the table size
limiting you, or the fence, or something else? The reason I ask is
that I have an old (40-50 yrs) Craftsman contractor's saw--to which
I've added extensions, off-feed table, a Craftsman "Align-A-Rip"
fence, etc.--and with which I can cut full 4x8 sheet goods. It's a
pretty damn good saw; a little underpowered, but nothing a bigger
motor wouldn't fix.

Ten bucks is pretty cheap, even for a Craftsman saw, which from that
vintage is probably worth putting some of that $400 into making into a
pretty decent user. I agree with the other posts--if you can only put
up that kind of $ don't buy new. Instead, consider putting it into
the saw you have.

I sit back in my asbestos suit, waiting the fires to come...

Dan