Charlie Self

Sunflower asks:

In a couple of weeks we are having a huge sycamore tree (platanus
occidentalis) removed that is buckling the foundation of our barn, and also
at the same time a tulip poplar (lirodendron tulipfera) that is
aesthetically in the wrong spot. I'm wondering if any of the wood would be
of use to woodworkers anywhere? I know it's not black walnut or cherry, and
frankly, I just want the trees gone, but if the wood could be put to some
good use, I'd like to try to recycle it beyond just firewood and wood chips
for the garden.

Have the sycamore quartersawn. It is unstable as all get out flat sawn, but
stable when QS...and it's gorgeous. Mildly soft for a hardwood, it finishes
well and does most things well. Poplar (tulip poplar) is a fantastic secondary
wood that some people like for a low cost primary wood.

Firewood: sycamore, IME, is a lousy firewood. It takes forever to dry enough to
burn properly, then burns too quickly. Poplar dries quickly, burns much too
fast for anything but quick heat.

Failing a chance to get the trees sawn into useful lumber, firewood is a
secondary use that is better than the landfill.

Charlie Self
"Half of the American people have never read a newspaper. Half never voted for
President. One hopes it is the same half." Gore Vidal