Andy Hall

Default Slate floor products

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 15:25:57 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

I'm going to install a slate floor in my kitchen. I'm planning:

1. 6mm plywood sheet over existing hardboard.
2. Adhesive
3. Slates
4. Lithofin MN Power-Clean
5. Lithofin MN StainStop
6. Lithofin MN Colour Intensifier

I'm planning to use Indian/Chinese style slate. The rough stuff with red
streaks in, anyway. Is this a reasonable sequence? The floor will be a
fraction over 10m2.

Some questions:

I just read Neil's post. I also bought slate from Stonell and echo
his comments on their quality of service.

I'd suggest talking to their technical department and give them a
complete description of what you have and the effect that you would
like to achieve. We used Howtex adhesive and grout, but it was
starting from a concrete floor. I would think but am not certain
that something with flexibility would be good for plywood.

1. Is 6mm plywood a good base to start on? Should I PVA it first?
2. What adhesive should I use?
3. How many coats of StainStop and Colour Intensifier should I use?

We used two of each.

4. How many litres will I need of each?

Lithofin's web site was fairly accurate on coverage. FWIW, Just Tiles
in Woodley has their stuff, although I didn;t check their prices.

5. At what point in the sequence do you grout? (i.e. before, after or in
between coats of the StainStop?)

IIRC, we did it between coats.

6. Do I need a particular type of grout? What colour looks good and won't
look manky in five year's time?

I used a mid grey. I wouldn't go for anything too pale with this
type of slate and definitely not white. Mid grey seems to largely
"disappear" and you are then more aware of the colours of the slate.

Have a look at

http://www.stonell.co.uk/slate.shtml

and click on Sheng Li, and I think you will see what I mean. With
colour enhancer, the colours will be raised but without making the
appearance glossy.

Have you thought about sizes? They need to be in the context of the
area being covered......

Christian.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl