Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 22:48:24 -0700, Fly-by-Night CC
wrote:

In article ,
"Dan White" wrote:

Anybody who does not understand that the democrats are weak on defense
simply doesn't know American history in the modern era.

Silly me... I wasn't aware FDR or Kennedy was weak on defense. Too bad
Clinton gutted the military - otherwise we'd have really trounced them
in Afghanistan and Bagdad. Good thing w rebuilt the shock and awe back
so quickly - or else who knows what might have happened over the last
couple years. Don't forget all those Democrats who fought and died right
alongside your boys.

--

Historically, FDR and Kennedy were different sorts of dems. FDR was
basically forced to rebuild in light of the threat across the Atlantic.

Subsequent dems were quite different -- LBJ had his guns and butter plan
where the military took a back seat to domestic affairs. Carter was one
who significantly neglected the military. Finally, the last dem inhabitant
did make real cuts to the defense department. That shock and awe you are
speaking of was primarily a carryover from the previous administrations'
buildups and the [sometimes] fortunate circumstance that the pentagon is a
very large machine with a huge amount of momentum that takes a long time to
change. That said, very few new weapon systems were conceived during the
prior administration's reign.