Mike Marlow

"GerryG" wrote in message
No, appalled'ment is not necessary. He neither limited his question, nor

gave
his starting point, nor really described the desired end product (degree

of
sheen, grain or filled surface). All similar to most other finishing

questions
here. With the lack of that detail, I don't see any responses that are out

of
line. The same goes for your response, which, to avoid writing a book,

assumes
a certain amount of knowledge that may or may not exist in the recipient.
GerryG

Actually, he did. His original post was...

"I would like to fine sand the finish and then polish and buff
the finish. What size grit sand paper should be started and
what componds to finish the job?
thanks"

I too was taken back by the recommendations for 80 grit, 220 grit and other
equally aggressive grits. The OP can easily post again and let everyone
know just where he is in the process, but it looks pretty clear to me that
he's looking for how to finish the finish.

I would not start with anything more aggressive than 600 and only then if
there were gross anomolies in the finish. Even with gross anomolies in the
finish, I'd be very careful with 600. 1000 grit will block down quite a lot
of unevenness. I'm not much of a user of steel wool, but that's because I
do a fair amount of automotive painting and one does not want steel wool
anywhere near automotive paint jobs. I just work my way up through
sandpapers. 1000 grit will act pretty quickly to knock down dust nibs, will
flatten out brush strokes, and leaves a surface that can be buffed or
polished quite well. 1200 or 1500 will make the buffing or polishing easier
but not everyone keeps that stuff around. I should think that for the steel
wool users, that 0000 would dress it nicely too, and leave the surface ready
for a rubbing compound. I use medium cut rubbing compound and swirl mark
remover and have had good results from that.

--

-Mike-