Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Roonaldo wrote:
Hi,

I sent this post yesterday but it seems to have been lost in
cyberspace. Apologies in advance for any repetition !

I bought an old (50 years ! ) Craftsman table saw last year,it was
only 10 bucks and I thought it would give me a chance to learn how to
use the tool before investing any more. It can only handle rips up to
8" or so, so Ive now decided to upgrade.

Does anyone have any advice as to a good medium-price-range saw to
invest in ? I have around $400 to spend but would like to get
something that will last me several years. I've been looking at a
Black and Decker Firestorm, some Deltas and Pro-Tech models. The Black
and Decker seems to have the best fence, but I've been less than
impressed with a couple of their other tools that I've bought.

Any Ideas anyone ? Thanks in advance

Give the Ryobi BT-3100 a _hard_ look. There's nothing in its price
range that can touch it, and you have to spend about twice the bucks
to get something 'materially better'.

For 'casual' work, treat it with kindness, and it'll do wonders.

For 'serious' amounts of work -- as in you'll be doing it something
approaching full-time -- something 'better' is required. e.g. a
good 'contractor' saw at a minimum, maybe a 'cabinet' saw. You're
in the circa $800 (and up!) price range for that kind of a tool; the
lower-price ones are *not* worth the money, given the requirements.