Andy Hall

Default Central Heating not starting

On 30 Jul 2003 02:29:35 -0700, (Paul) wrote:

Hello all.

British Gas came round yesterday and had to put a new seal on the
boiler.

The bloke also looked at the heating valve (the gret box thingy),
cleaned it out and put some grease in it and both heating and hot
water are now working.

I've been told that the heating condenser is starting to corrode and
once that goes, its "goodnight vienna" and has suggested we replace
the boiler.

I've got British Gas coming round to quote for a new one.

I have a glo-worm central heating boiler, can anyone tell me what I
should expect to pay to have it replaced so I'm not fleeced?

Any info most welcome!

Paul Harris

The first thing is to not do business with British Gas.

Their prices for new installations in comparison with a local heating
firm will be excessive. By all means invite them to quote, but then
also look for some alternatives.

Secondly, their service contracts are misrepresented IMHO, and I have
written to the ASA about it. Their TV and other advertising gives
the impression that they provide a kind of paramedic or emergency
service with their £144/annum contract. From experience, all I can
say is that even the NHS can provide a better level of service, and I
wouldn't want to be in the situation of Mrs Jones and her pump. They
are still operating the old nationalised industry mentality of
prioritising the vulnerable above everybody else and during peak times
in autumn and winter, one can wait a week for an engineer.

They should staff to the appropriate level to ensure that all
contracts are properly serviced. In reality, they do what they have
suggested to you and try to sell you a new boiler. The engineers
receive a bonus for this.

The second is not to buy Glow Worm. I happily threw my last one on
the skip a year ago - a poorly made piece of junk.
Take a look at some of the better German made products such as
Vaillant which are substantially better.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl