Andrew Gabriel

Default Kitchen Lights help please

In article ,
"Colin" writes:

I would like flourecsent tubes if I could find some way of making them look
nice. I think think that they make a better working light. Has anyone seen
any fittings, or got any tips for installation, that would look acceptable?

I've done the lighting in two kitchens in last few years.
In both cases, I used T4 fluorescent fittings (CPC, B&Q) under the
cupboards behind tiny pelmets, and concealed fluorescent tubes on
top of the cupboards bouncing light off a white ceiling.
This has worked very well with excellent all round lighting,
excellent task lighting on the worktops and absolutely no glare.
The under cupboard and on cupboard lights are separately switched.

You should consider the colour temperature (and make sure all the
tubes are the same). For domestic kitchen lighting levels you want 2700K.
This will also match the colour temperature of the other lights in your
house and make the kitchen feel warm. If you want to install a
significantly higher level of lighting in the kitchen than is perhaps
the norm for domestic use, then you can also increase the colour
temperture to 3500K, but this will look cold and lifeless unless the
lighting level is much higher than you would normally find in a
domestic residence. This high level of lighting is something you might
particularly want to consider if the kitchen has no natural light and
you will be using the lights all through the day. However, it can be
overpowering in the early morning and evening when we don't expect
such high light levels or high colour temperatures.

--
Andrew Gabriel