GerryG

No, appalled'ment is not necessary. He neither limited his question, nor gave
his starting point, nor really described the desired end product (degree of
sheen, grain or filled surface). All similar to most other finishing questions
here. With the lack of that detail, I don't see any responses that are out of
line. The same goes for your response, which, to avoid writing a book, assumes
a certain amount of knowledge that may or may not exist in the recipient.
GerryG

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 13:22:38 -0700, David wrote:

If your question is limited to what grits and compounds to use AFTER the
final gloss coat is applied, I'm appalled at the responses that mention
the use of 80 grit. I wouldn't take 80 grit to a final finish unless I
wanted to ruin it. I start at a minimum of 320, then to 400. When I
don't want a gloss finish, I use gray and white pads also. For gloss
you can use 600, 1000, 1500 (wet), and THEN apply any of a number of
automotive polishing compounds. I use Meguiar products, such as their
swirl remover as the LAST product used to polish to a HIGH gloss. Go to
an automotive finish supply store for a complete inventory of Meguiar's
products. Or you can use pumices and rottenstone...

If you can't remove polishing residue from open pores, consider applying
a water based dye to hide the discoloration. It won't affect the
overall color of course, because you've got it sealed with the poly. If
you are shooting for a high gloss, I figure you probably don't have any
open pores, as that would distract from the finish.

David

Jeff wrote:
I would like to fine sand the finish and then polish and buff
the finish. What size grit sand paper should be started and
what componds to finish the job?
thanks