N. Thornton

Default Kitchen Lights help please

"Owain" wrote in message ...
Stefek Zaba wrote
| | 15 lights
| | 50W per light

| That'll be 2 new lighting circuits then, as each point must
| be rated at 100W

| To be fair, not if they're limited to taking lamps only available in
| 50W max - such as LV halogens. Haven't exhaustively scanned for any
| GU10-style mains halogens above 50W, but if they don't exist then
| 50W per lighting point is reasonable for them too.

I take 100W per mains lighting point because the fittings could be replaced
with 60W or even 100W spots, in another style if not GU10, but the
transformer as one point at actual rating, because that is the end of the
mains wiring.

Owain

But people could make all sorts of modifications, and if they do, the
onus is on them to do it sensibly.

The trouble with (weakly trying to) protect against what someone might
mis-do one day is that its openended: there is no shortage of things
an idiot could do, but how is that relevant to your install? Typically
when I come across this 'but someone might' approach I see just one
maybe offered, and all others ignored, which doesnt seem to make good
sense to me.

And if someone did decide to replace this circuit with 100w fittings,
thus putting 1.5kW of bulbs in the OP's kitchen, there is already
protection equipment in place to deal with that anyhow.

And if they went one step further and replaced the MCB, just how
dangerous is running 1,5kW peak on 1,5mm2?

Any why would the present OP have to take action now to prevent
someone else's highly unlikely mis-actions in this situation? It
sounds like stretching it to me.

I'd love to hear a good explanation though.

Regards, NT