Wes Stewart

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 11:16:56 -0400, "Ian Wheeler"
wrote:

|I recently finished my bedside table project (Maple with Walnut trim).
|Finished as follows:
|
|Sand - 80 - 150 -220
|SealCoat (to raise grain) - sand 220
|WB poly (2 coats on body, 3 on top - both sides) - light sanding with 220
|betwen coats.
|Light sanding with 220, wet sand with 320 Wet/Dry paper.
|Clear Butchers wax rubbed in with 0000 steel wool.
|Buff out with old tee shirt.

Similar to what I'm currently doing. Trying to do a "Furniture grade"
bathroom vanity. Carcase Birch ply, face Alder.

Birch finished with one coat Enduro Sanding Sealer and 3-4 coats satin
poly. Sanded 220 between coats and rubbed out with grey pad for
finish.

So far, Alder sanded 220, wash coat 1 lb shellac, sanded 220, 1 coat
SS, sanded 220, 2 coats poly finish, wet sand 600 and buff with grey
pad.

In my case, I'm not after high gloss and the finish with the pad is
fine. I was spraying with a HVLP gun and a tip larger than
recommended. A lot of the sanding was to level the finish. It also
agravated an old shoulder injury and I'm on vacation from this
project.

|I'm really happy with the finish this produced - I was not going for a high
|gloss french polish look and didn't get it - the finish is more subdued,
|like a satin finish.
|
|To get a high gloss you'll need to use the automotive compounds MikeG
|suggests. Working up though the steel wools is a good idea, but I only had
|0000.
|
|Unfortunately, my wife spilt nail polish remover on one of the tops (she
|wiped in up immediately) - looks like the damage is superficial, I'm hoping
|steel wool and wax will bring the finish back.

Yep, I know the feeling. Perhaps it was naiveté, but I expected
better resistance to chemicals with this product. I prefinished the
ply and used poly glue, taping the finished area to minimize squeeze
out. This didn't work out as good as hoped for and there was a bit of
foamed glue under the tape. Alcohol is the solvent for cleanup and
when I used it, it attacked the finish. Fortunately this was in an
area where a stack of drawers goes so it doesn't show.

Sooo, where I am now is after talking to Lois at CSS I've purchased
some cross linking additive that is supposed to offer much better
chemical and abrasion resistance. I also splurged on a second spray
guy with more appropriate tip size. (I hope).

When my arm gets feeling better we'll see how this works out.

Wes