Adrian Mariano

"Gordon Menzies" writes:

Hello

I am starting a new project soon. the plans call for Brazilian Rosewood .
the problem is none is available.
so I would like some possible recommendation for a similar type of wood .
the project involves wooden gears.
so stability is important. any suggestion will be greatly appreciated

Teak? Padouk is also supposed to be very stable (but looks nothing
like rosewood). There are a bunch of other rosewoods (genus
Dalbergia), such as Honduran rosewood and Bolivian rosewood. Indian
Rosewood is alleged to be more stable than Brazilian. If you want
something really dense you could try African Blackwood which is
heavier than water (it's a Dalbergia too). I think these last two may
be available only as turning blanks so your project would have to be
small.