Jeff Gorman

"r. mcelhaney" wrote

: ....................The Record jack plane seemed to slightly chatter
: when it caught some wood - it wasn't a nice cutting action. And the
: shavings were nothing like when you plane a piece of pine in the
: direction of the grain (remember this is hard (very hard) maple). The
: plane also did not shave much wood off with each pass (a lot of effort
: with no results). When I lowered the blade even a little, the blade
: would engage, but dig in and the plane would stop (leaving an
: unslightly gouge).

This looks like 'skitter' rather than 'chatter'.

Please try my web site - Planing Notes - Skitter and Chatter.

Jeff G
--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
Email: username is amgron