Colin

Default Kitchen Lights help please

So its nearer £400 a year. For 1 room.

Yikes!

Seems a bit steep to light just one room in the house!

How many rooms have you got...

Lots.

Fls are very efficient, and routinely badly installed and poorly used.
They can be made to look fine, but few people seem to have any idea
how to do that. I've been in places lit almost entirely by fls, and
they looked good. Unfortunately widespread bad practice gives them a
bad name.

I would like flourecsent tubes if I could find some way of making them look
nice. I think think that they make a better working light. Has anyone seen
any fittings, or got any tips for installation, that would look acceptable?

Is this the cost of a modern-looking kitchen?

no, its the cost of what you propose to do. There are plenty of other
ways to have a modern looking kitchen. There are even ways to have
downlighters without the cost you are looking at here.

I am open to suggestions...

Would a dimmer switch save electricity?

no it increases it. I can explain if needed.

I suspected that they didn't save power...

Colin