Jeff Gorman

"U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles" "Charles wrote

:
: I'm not sure about the frog adjustment. I put it back on the original
: marks showed it was. I tried moving it further forward but that proved
: too far forward to allow the blade to move. If anyone knows how best to
: set the frog on this plane, I'd love to hear it.

You might care to try my web site - Planing Notes - Fettling a Cast Iron
Plane and scroll down to The Frog.
:
: Finally, it's tending to dig in. Is there any good way to reduce the
: backlash in the iron adjuster?

Very difficult to do without spoiling the plane - in any event some backlash
appears to be required by the plane design (consider the operation of the
yoke's spigot in the cap-iron aperture).

: ................................ I'm finding it difficult to strike the
: best balance between too shallow and too deep a cut.

Is the lever cap set so tight as you can only just manage to release it with
a finger? Otherwise you'll get very erratic settings.

Jeff G

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
Email: username is amgron