Dave Hinz

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 04:18:34 +0000 (UTC), Joe Bernstein wrote:

The *amusing* thing here is that the hostile reactions of the
rec.woodworking people have me just about ready to bet real money
that within two years, we'll see a moderated group proposal here
from them with wide consensus behind it, a la the recent
screenplays discussion.

I'm not familiar with the screenplays discussion, so I hope I'm not making
an obvious point here, but... Yes, it's possible, likely even, that within
a couple of years we'll have another troll infestation and some of the more
motivated, technical, and participating folks in the group will have had
enough to fix it. Right now, the S:N ratio is held good enough by
killfiles and/or a "trollfilter" that one of the members has developed.
The "usual suspect" is away at the moment (...or maybe he's got a webtv
account now...), but he's almost immediately recognizable so that's more
a gnat than a real problem.

So, yes, maybe at some point a moderated group will be appropriate, but
this proposal is at the wrong time, from the wrong person, for the
wrong reasons.

Dave Hinz