Jim Behning

You read instructions that state to allow the wood to acclimate. My
house had no AC when it was being built. The AC or heat has been
running post installation and finishing for the last 6 years. The
humidity was 60-80% when the flooring was installed and the temp was
10-20 degrees warmer. The wood may never see those conditions again.
In an existing house the acclimation to the environement is possible.

That said if you go into Atlanta houses that have hardwood installed
back in the 1940s and 50s you see lots of gaps now. I suspect that has
something to do with AC installed in the 80s and 90s. My parent's
house built about 1900 in Cleveland Ohio had pretty tight flooring. We
never had AC and the hot water radiators had humidifying trays on
them. My frugal Dad rarely had the heat set above 68 so the house did
not dry out the way things can here in the south with AC.

emove (SteveC1280) wrote:

If you can, stack the wood in the house with air spaces between boards for a
week or so to acclimate to the moisture conditions in the house. I had some
freshly kiln dried flooring buckle after I installed it acclimated to the
house.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.