patriarch

Australopithecus scobis wrote in
news
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 21:58:18 +0100, Andy Dingley wrote:

Mainly though, it's a question of technique. The screw holding down the
cap iron is a crucial adjustment, because it controls the friction that
locates the iron (and it's _only_ this friction that holds it). Think of
the adjusting fork as a "poke" to shift the iron along in either
direction, not as the nut representing the actual position of the iron.

Listen to the man. My Baileys behave themselves much better after I
understood this point. You also want to always end your adjustment by
bringing the blade forward. If you don't, the blade will slide back up;
more slop.

Thoughts on using some loktite on the cap lever screw, once the best
position is found?

Fussing with the adjustment is at least half the fun! ;-)

Seriously, what Andy said in another post, about having more than one
plane, is the direction I've been sliding recently. Some old 'Handyman'
relics, swiped from my father's toolbox 20 years ago, a Record #4 that
refuses to be a precision device, a Stanley low-angle block, set up for
softwoods - these are my traveling kit. If they get lost or forgotten, it's
not the end of the world. Along with some Ace Hardware chisels (which are
surprisingly good), a couple of handsaws, and whatever power tools seem
appropriate to the challenge. The good stuff stays at home, but seems to
get new company regularly...

Patriarch