Andy Hall

Default Kitchen Lights help please

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 17:42:19 -0000, "Colin"
wrote:

The calculations are OK, but the assumptions are probably
unreasonable.

First of all, I doubt that you would need all 15 lights for 15 hours a
day, the year round. You can divide the lights into groups and
switch some on at a time. For example, I have some in the ceiling
away from the walls and some closer to the walls to give reflected
light. I probably have about a third of them on for many purposes
and more when needed.

I guess careful lighting design is important. I don't want to end up in the
situation where I am switching ligts on and off every 5 minutes.

I don't think you need to do that. You can split lighting into
general, accent and task.

Most of the time we end up with three different combinations and I
have the switches to achieve that with different sets hooked to each.

Don't you like sex? ;-)

It doesn't usually cost this much ;-)

It does, you know. You just don't realise it...... :-)

Being able to mix and select different types of light at different
times is quite appealing.

Is there a certain configuration that you use 95% of the time?

Using switching as described above, I have 3 switches, each of which
turns on a different scenario. One is for cooking, another for other
work in the kitchen and the third is when nothing much is happening
and I need light to walk through or raid the fridge so just some
accent lights near the wall. It's then just a case of throwing an
additional switch when needed.

You can mix technologies of course, although I prefer to keep
fluorescents of all types to a minimum because I find them bilious in
kitchen applications.

Colin

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl