Dave Balderstone

In article , Woodchuck Bill
wrote:

Dave, please don't misread my position. Speaking as both a part-time
wrecker and a news.groups regular, I'm trying to stay as objective as
possible until I see a final proposal. Since I would never read a moderated
group, I am certain that there will not be a "yes" vote with my name on it
for the soft wreck. Depending on how the proponent handles the second RFD
(if he does the right thing) will be tie-breaker as to whether I vote
"abstain" or "no".

I don't think I'm misreading you, and I recognize and appreciate your
efforts to stay objective. I'm looking forward to a second RFD also.

There could be one benefit of passing this group..the prudes and nannies
would have another woodworking group to use. Remember BAD's attempted (but
unsuccessful) little smear campaign against Charlie for using a "bad word"?
That was pathetic. It might be better to isolate sensitive little girls
like that from the men. Who knows! Like someone around here says..It will
all be over someday!

I started out adamantly opposed to the creation of a moderated
woodwrecking group, but after all the discussion over the past 5 days,
have softened somewhat.

Like you, I can't see voting "yes". If the proponents of the new group
address the concerns I have regarding moderation, however, I'm thinking
they can avoid a "no" vote with my name on it. I'm still undecided as
to whether I'd vote "abstain" or not, although it remains a strong
possibility.

Also like you, I can see a side benefit to the creation of the
moderated group in that a reply of "If you don't like it here, go to
rec.woodworking.moderated" would be an effective way to get rid of the
whiners.

The only problem with the proposal at this point, objectively, is the
reliability of the moderators. I don't believe they will be able to
effectively address that (my opinion only) and as a result believe the
proposal will fail.

But if it fails, it should fail on merit and nothing else.

No matter what happens, rec.woodworking will not be affected by this
proposal.