Andy Hall

Default Kitchen Lights help please

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:50:58 -0000, "Colin"
wrote:

Hi,

Would someone check my calculation please...

I have been considering fitting downlighters in my kitchen.

The kitchen is roughly 7m by 4m. Reading other posts on this BB it looks as
though I should go for around 15 downlighters + additional under cupboard
lights for effect...

My calculation is:

15 lights
50W per light
7p/Kw
Lights on 15 hours per day

15 * 50/1000 * 0.07 * 15 * 365 = approx £300 per year running cost. Any
additional under-cupboard lights are extra on top of this, as are
replacement bulbs, etc.

The calculations are OK, but the assumptions are probably
unreasonable.

First of all, I doubt that you would need all 15 lights for 15 hours a
day, the year round. You can divide the lights into groups and
switch some on at a time. For example, I have some in the ceiling
away from the walls and some closer to the walls to give reflected
light. I probably have about a third of them on for many purposes
and more when needed.

I assume that low voltage downlighters cost the same to run as mains
voltage(?)

Approximately.

Seems a bit steep to light just one room in the house!

[At the moment I have a 60w strip light and a 20W low voltage pendant which
gives adequate (but not sexy) lighting and only a tenth of the running
costs.]

Don't you like sex? ;-)

I also used small high frequency fluorescent fittings underneath the
cupboards for certain jobs.

Being able to mix and select different types of light at different
times is quite appealing.

Should I be considering something other than downligters? Is this the cost
of a modern-looking kitchen?

Colin

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl