Bill Stock

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 23:23:55 -0500, "Phyloe"
wrote:

I am new at woodworking. I was working on a small project where I was
gluing 1/8" x 3/4" strips of wood to some boards and then planned to

stain
the whole thing. I had some glue squish out and used a wet clothe to

wipe

It's better if you let the glue dry to a semi-hard state and then
use a scraper to remove it. Sand or scrape afterward and you won't
have a glue line to worry about. Norm (and others) should be ashamed
of themselves telling people to remove wet glue with a wet cloth.

I got hosed by this just recently. I was wiping with a damp cloth and
sanding out afterwards. It seemed to work fine, except for two noticeable
spots. It must have been a difference in the roughness of the grain of the
wood (red oak). I wasn't even using stain, just clear coating.

It'll be tape and chisel for me from now on.

that off. It looked fine until I stained it and then I found the glue

had
not wiped off completely and soaked into the wood and would not take

stain.
I was using pine and a dark stain so the glue spots showed up like pale
yellow smears along the strips. I tried using a very modest amount of

glue
but it still squished out when I used clamps. How can I avoid this

problem
on future projects?

Best bet to avoid stain problems: Don't stain. Clear finishes will
work over a small amount of glue. Buy wood of the type and color
you seek instead. If you figure in your costs (prestain conditioner,
stain, brushes, containers, and loads of your precious time), it's
-cheaper- to buy real wood and not try to make junk wood "look
something like" the real wood, which it can never fully do.

give me The Luxuries Of Life * http://www.diversify.com
i can live without the necessities * 2 Tee collections online