Set Square

Default Gas meter test point

David Hearn wrote:

I'm trying to work out the current gas pressures in our house prior to
getting a new boiler (to make sure the current pipework is suitable).

Looking at Ed's FAQ, I should be able to put a manometer onto the
meter and find out the pressure there - however I can't see any such
test points. I've got an old governor on the input side of the meter
and can't see any test points on there. The meter is a reasonably
new BTR Eurometers Ltd made digital one. The output from the meter
has a screw thing (about 5mm diameter) on the output collar - though
I don't want to unscrew that unless I'm sure I know what it is.

The test point on my meter is on the output collar. There is a a little ipe
coming out horizontally, with a slightly flared end. There is screw screwed
into the end, which must be removed in order to fit a manometer

Incidentally, where's the best place to buy a manometer from? I've
seen one online for about £15 + VAT (glass) and cheaper for plastic.
Any preference as to which to get assuming I'll probably neverUID it
again - or at least, not for a while.

This is *uk.d-i-y* - Make your own! I made one from a piece of floorboard, a
length of clear plastic tubing attached to it in a U shape (with a long
piece one side to connect to the test-point) and a sheet of graph paper
behind the tube. It needs to be half filled with water - then you can read
the pressure in inches (or cms depending on the graph paper) of water, and
then convert to millibars. [From a rough calc, 1" water = approx 2.75 mB
(but you'll need to find the exact figure) - so your manometer needs to
cater for height differences of around 8"]

--
Cheers,
Set Square