Mel

"Frank McVey" wrote in message ...
I've just got quite a large commission to refurbish/replace a number of
12-pane vertically sliding sash windows in a 300-year old farmhouse. I
don't have any problems with that, but these things were fitted with
Hermeseal draught excluders nearly 40 years ago. These are like a very fine
leaf spring (looks like a copper alloy), with a Vee cross-section. Each
leaf of the Vee is about 1" wide, and the top of the Vee is open by around
1/4" when not under compression. One leaf of the Vee is punched for
nailing, so the whole spring looks a little like a slightly-open piano
hinge. Obviously these were obtainable in considerable lengths, since the
same system was fitted around the lady's doors.

A quick google for bronze weatherstrip found this supplier.
(USA I'm afraid)

http://www.kilianhardware.com/sprinbronwea.html

This is a flat strip you nail on and run a tool down to make
it bow outwards although I notice they also list some V-strip too.

http://www.kilianhardware.com/otsprinbronw.html