patriarch

(sr_wood) wrote in
om:

Wow!!!,
I never expected such kind and supportive responses. I have a
sliding miter saw on my Delta unisaw. I think I'll go for the dado
method. Would a stop on the fence be a good idea, or should I free
hand it?
By the way I'm new to the group and I'm really impressed. A
great bunch of folks here. I'm sure my wife and her 160 students will
be extatic.

PLEASE don't try this cut free hand! Not a safe practice at all.

I'm not sure what you mean by "a sliding miter saw on my Delta unisaw."
What I envisioned is a sliding crosscut sled, through which the dado head
protrudes. This will likely be a one-time use sled, if you build it to use
both runners on the Unisaw, but you should be able to put it together with
a bit of that MDF, and the mythical straight tubafor, glue, and a dozen
wood screws.

A stop clamped to the back rail of the sled MAY be useful, but then, I'm
envisioning a design that may differ from what you're doing. If this were
in my shop, the Bies fence would be leaning against the wall for this
operation...

Have fun with this. Work safely. Start cautiously.

Patriarch