Secret Squirrel

(sr_wood) wrote in news:e5e56ca6.0409091419.5da89676
@posting.google.com:

I'm making a particle board cubbie storage unit for my wifes
classroom. I've decided that the best way to design the unit is to
make the shelves interlocking, but can't think of a great way of
making the slots. The storage unit will have 15 total cubies all 12" x
12" x 12" (5x3). My first thought was to cut 4 slots on the 2
horizontal shelves half way through and then make 2 slots on each of
the 5 vertical deviders half way through on the table saw. But I'm not
sure how to finish off the cut or if it is a safe way to get the job
done.
Has anyone done this kind of thing before? Would a dado blade work
better? A jig saw? A router? This may be a no brainer, but do you make
the slots the same size as the particle board? (23/32)

I would be very grateful for any ones help, and you would make a hero
out of me with my wife.

Thank you,
Don

Lots of ways to do this. Personally I'd make a templat out of 1/4
masonite and then route the grooves. You should be able to lay out the
slots on the masonite and cute with a jigsaw. You can then route using a
collar and straight bit or a pattern bit or a trim bit.. just be sure
you know which you'll use when you figure the size of the slots in the
masonite. You could also make the template by screwing some straing
strips of wood onto the play and then routing out the slots themselves.