Andy Hall

Default Gas meter test point

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:36:23 -0000, "David Hearn"
wrote:

I'm trying to work out the current gas pressures in our house prior to
getting a new boiler (to make sure the current pipework is suitable).

Looking at Ed's FAQ, I should be able to put a manometer onto the meter and
find out the pressure there - however I can't see any such test points.
I've got an old governor on the input side of the meter and can't see any
test points on there. The meter is a reasonably new BTR Eurometers Ltd made
digital one. The output from the meter has a screw thing (about 5mm
diameter) on the output collar - though I don't want to unscrew that unless
I'm sure I know what it is.

That's the test point.

As I understand it, the pressure from the govenor should be 20mbar +/-
1mbar - however the Ideal Classic SE boiler claims "a *minimum* gas pressure
of 20 mbar MUST be available at the boiler inlet, with the boiler operating.
So before any pipework runs are taken into account, my pressure may be to
low anyway.

I'll check the pressures at the current boiler and see what's there. I
really don't want to be doing any new pipework as the pipes run under the
kitchen floor and behind the kitchen cupboards....

Make sure that you connect to the correct test point if there is more
than one. My old boiler had a burner test point for setting up.
That's interesting, but useless for testing pressure drop on the
pipework since it is after the regulator in the gas valve. There
should be one on the input side as well, if need be in the isolating
cock to the boiler. My old boiler didn't have one but the new one
does. It is that which is the one to use.

It would be worth timing the meter as well (no other gas appliances in
use) to see what the gas rate is.

Incidentally, where's the best place to buy a manometer from? I've seen one
online for about £15 + VAT (glass) and cheaper for plastic. Any preference
as to which to get assuming I'll probably neverUID it again - or at least,
not for a while.

B&Q have them as well for about this price.

Thanks

David

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl