The Natural Philosopher

Default Halogen Lighting in Bathroom

Ian Clarke wrote:

If I install some recessed lighting is it possible to make it dimmable ? I'm
assuming a normal dimmer in a bathroom is a bad idea due to the risk of
electric shock with all the moisture about etc. ?

IMM has talked about remore control dimmers. Obviously read some
marketing bollox as usual - but modern practice is to have the light
switch outsdie the rooom anyway: This will be fine with halogens, tho
I'd strongly recommen an external dimmable transformer and bathroom
compliant LV halogens.

Funnily enough, you can modify a really beefy dimmer to work on 12V AC
like you get from a toroidal type LV transformer. A bit lossy, but it
works apparently. The Triac needs uprating for the larger currents, and
the resistor needs to come down in value, but the triac doesn't need to
be a 400V type anymore.

Such a beast would be reasonably safe in a bathroom.