George

Apologies. Now that the second cup is down and the adrenalin rush of the
first run complete, I realize that you sharpen with a jig. If so, you
certainly should visually inspect the grind for consistency of the _edge_.
Other than a constant pattern will indicate an incomplete grind and possibly
a dull edge.

For those who do not use jigs, it's not really meaningful. The edge is
tested with the thumbnail or, as I prefer, the work, then taken back to the
wheel if proven inadequate. The angles in a turning are so complex, in my
opinion, that even if they vary on the tool in minor degree - for instance,
having been altered by honing, they make only an academic difference, the
material being imprecise in its own right.

If the cutting pressure is minimal and the shaving smooth-edged, it doesn't
matter how you ground or honed the tool.

"George" george@least wrote in message
I think you see more of a problem than actually exists. You're describing

dulled edge, which can be produced equally as well in a smooth-looking
grind.

Judge your edge by the work it does.

"Ray Sandusky" wrote in message
Geo

I think that many people have trouble with multifaceted bevels which

round
over the cutting edge and cause the turner to alter their angle of

approach
to the wood and makes the cutting edge of the tool efficient in a very

small
section of the edge. A clean, concave bevel and consistently sharp edge

is
preferred. So I advocate looking at the profile of the tool against the
wheel everytime the tool is dressed.