Ray Sandusky

Geo

I think that many people have trouble with multifaceted bevels which round
over the cutting edge and cause the turner to alter their angle of approach
to the wood and makes the cutting edge of the tool efficient in a very small
section of the edge. A clean, concave bevel and consistently sharp edge is
preferred. So I advocate looking at the profile of the tool against the
wheel everytime the tool is dressed.

Ray

"George" george@least wrote in message
I think there's much too much emphasis on bevel "facets" which may well
represent less than .001 in surface deviation and yet be visible because
of
a slightly different grind angle. That's well within the compression
distance for even seasoned wood. It's the edge which cuts, and with a
skewed cut, even that's an average.

"Ray Sandusky" wrote in message
.

When grinding, make sure you take a moment to look at the bevel against a
stopped wheel (in Profile), adjust the platform or slider so the entire
bevel is in contact with the stone. That will produce an unfaceted
bevel,
which will make your cuts smooth and the tool a pleasure to use.