Mike Rinken

DJ Delorie wrote:
(Arch) writes:
When good people who are good turners disagree re a technique, a tool
edge, a descriptive term, or blondes vs redheads, it probably means
that there is no clearly superior answer no matter how tenaciously
held or expertly promoted.

Or, more likely, there are multiple superior answers, but which one is
superior for YOU depends on what YOU want.

Me, for example, I got a Torkmek with all the accessories. Why would
a woodturner want an axe sharpening jig? Because I own an axe, of
course. Would all woodturners benefit from an axe sharpening jig? Of
course not. But because of my situation and personal needs, the
Tormek is the obviously correct choice for ME - I sharpen my own axes,
chisels, planes, jointer and planer knives, scissors[1], and turning
tools. I have time to put a fine edge on gouges when the job would
benefit from it. I have no talent when it comes to free-handing on
the grinder. So, a Tormek is perfect for me. My backup is a 6" high
speed grinder for rough shaping. Would that be right for everyone?
No, it wouldn't.

On the other hand, a year ago at the Craftsmen's Fair, I brought my
cheap 6" grinder - well tuned of course - for sharpening at our demo
tent. One of the pros from the other tent would show up each day and
zip zip zip hand sharpen his gouges for the day. A Tormek would
be all wrong for him.

Geesh! Didn't mean to start a huge discussion here but all great opinions.
I've been a woodworker for about 8 years now and have never owned a grinder.
I've always used other methods to sharpen my tools (chisels are sharpened
using the scary sharp method) and figured it was time to add a grinder, but
wanted to wait and see other uses for it until I did. Purchasing the lathe
(which is a Jet Mini Lathe I got on Ebay for $80) drove me to make a
decision, but with anything else I do before I buy I research.

Someday I might end up getting a Tormek but at this point, I don't know if
I'll be a serious or casual turner so the dual speed Woodcraft grinder
seemed like the best decision. I did splurge on the Wolverine jig, which is
specifically for the turning tools, nothing else I can think of.

But once again the most (I believe) underused piece of the internet (usenet)
comes through with flying colors. Thanks again to all for your advice and
opinions.

I'll be asking about chucks next!

Mike