Turner

Bill Rubenstein wrote in message .net...

Turn on a Oneway or a Stubby, than say that...

Bill

Sorry Bill,

I've turn on Oneways (all models) extensively and a Stubby once. They
are both great machines, but I wouldn't replace my Oliver with one of
them. I just like the stability of the Old Giant (The Oliver 20-C
weighs just over 4000 pounds). With the addition of a VFD I'll have
the best of both worlds.

SAFETY NOTE: This is one reason I really want a VFD... I finished one
relatively small turning last Saturday morning and mounted a big snag
on Sunday afternoon. I NEGLECTED TO CHANGE TO LOW GEAR and when I hit
the run switch the out-of-balance snag (~100 pounds) quickly came to
speed (5HP motor) and rocked the whole 4000 pound lathe! I'm sure
glad I wired an emergency kill switch at the other end of the machine!
ALWAYS REDUCE YOUR SPEED WHEN YOU ARE FINISHED WITH A TURNING
SESSION! While a VFD won't automatically prevent this from happening,
they can be programmed for a soft start.

Take it for what it's worth to you!

Turner