Phil Brennion

Lyn,
I'll be anxious to read your comparative article. My experience with the
Tormek puts it in the class of - "sharpens tools very well, maybe the best
of the grinders out there" , but requires enough extra time using it to make
it just a bit irritating!.( the motor start up even lags)
I'm looking forward to your article.
"Lyn J. Mangiameli" wrote in message
k.net...
I won't belabor folks with the details as anyone who wants them can find
them by searching on my name and Tormek, Sharpening, or Grinders. And in a
couple of months you will be able to read an extensive comparative article
discussing all the principle means of sharpening woodturning tools: HS
grinder, LS grinder, Belt Sander, and Tormek. I have the choice of them
all, use them all, and find a place for them all in the maintenance of my
turning tools.

I will just note that I am a woodturner,have been for a long time, am not
on commission nor attempting to sell anything, but my findings based on
critical experience with all the many sharpening methods is that the
Tormek is one of the very best methods of maintaining the edge of ones
turning tools, particularly gouges. I find it gives a meaningfully sharper
edge than any tool used straight off a dry grinder, provides for more time
between grindings, results in less steel being removed which of course
leads to longer tool life, and is safe, easy and predictable to use.

These are not just my findings, but are consistent with the many
professional turners who have been very pleased with the Tormek (Steve
Russell being a very good example of someone who very rigorously evaluates
any tool that he puts to use and lauds the Tormek), or have long advocated
that for anything other than roughing out, honing with a fine abrasive
should follow dry grinding (Jerry Glaser, Alan Lacer, Rude Osolnick,Bob
Stocksdale and Del Stubs is just a short list of the prominent). Some of
the folks at the cutting edge of investigating sharpening techniques (Bill
Tindall being a good example) have found the superiority of a finely honed
edge for woodturning (he uses diamond slurries).

So while folks have every right to be satisfied with whatever level of
sharpness that meets their needs and sensibilities, a blanket statement
that the Tormek or finely honed edges "just isn't appropriate for us" is
simply not supported by the findings and practices of a substantial body
of knowledgable and respected turners.

Lyn

Bill Rubenstein wrote:
My personal feeling is that anybody selling a Tormek to a turner is
either not a turner or working on commission. It just isn't appropriate
for us. Turning a 1' diameter form at 250 rpm and we are cutting
785'/minute. That glass-like edge may even last several seconds. I
roughed out a sweet gum bowl(not my favorite wood but the log has been
taking up space in my garage) and reground at least 6 times because it
was quick and easy and I knew that the tool would cut better after it was
ground. I'm using the Oneway mastercut gouges, btw.