Bill Rubenstein

Well, I'm not a double-e but I play one on television...

I've been heavily into diy electronics for decades and know quite a bit about vfd-s and
designing, bbuilding and programming microcomputer circuits from scratch (one of mine is
running a dry kiln -- written in assembler language on a microchip cpu) and wouldn't even
think of tackling a vfd. Too much current, too much smoke before I got it running and too
many fried 3-phase motors. Also, no idea where to start on this one.

Bill

In article , says...
Bill Rubenstein wrote:
Do you mean a build-it-yourself vfd? Buy the parts and wire it up? These things are all
software driven and the code is pretty sophisticated. Also some of the parts are, I think,
pretty exotic because of the large amounts of current they are dealing with.

Or isn't that what you mean?

Yup, that's what I meant. I spent a couple hours googling the newsgroups
on the subject and came up with enough info to partly discourage me from
looking any further and settle for a variable DC drive using a treadmill
motor. Probably more practical for my situation, although I DO have a 3
ph. motor, and a working rotary convertor, but not much extra moola.

I'm not necessarily hoping to find a design for a continuously variable
frequency convertor, a stepped adjustment in 3 or 4 ranges controlled by
a rotary switch would suffice (15, 30, 45, and 60 hertz for example). A
circuit made with scavanged 60's or 70's vintage parts would be ideal
for my frugal style of living. A high power, very low frequency radio
transmitter?

Ken Grunke