Mike Rinken

Default What kind of sharpening system to buy?

I need a little assistance. I've read reviews on the Delta 23-700 on
Amazon, I've read about the Woodcraft horizontal WetStone grinder, I've
slobbered over the Tormek although I don't know why, I've looked at a few
other Delta models, a Jet model, I've read and researched old threads on
Google as to this subject.

Basically I need to sharpen my turning tools. I've been turning for a week
now and needless to say I'm hooked. I'm making plans to create all of my
Christmas gifts on the lathe, but I know I'll be doing a lot of sharpening
as well.

So the question becomes, what do I get? A horizontal wet stone, a bench
grinder, a slow speed grinder, jigs to hold the tools (I think this is a
must). I had a guy at the local woodcraft recommend a 1" belt sander with
fine belts. Really? I talked to him about the various choices but he
wasn't much help. I do know I'll need to get some different wheels of
varying grit.

I do all kinds of woodworking, I'd prefer something I can sharpen my chisels
and jointer knives on as well.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

--

Mike