Ken G.

Turner wrote:
I turn on an old Oliver 20-C Patternmaker's Lathe and wouldn't trade
it for any other on the market. I can turn 24" in diameter and almost
8' long inboard and from spindle to floor/ceiling outboard. It has a
4 step flat belt pully drive system run by a 5HP motor with 4 speed
gear box. The spindle is threaded 1-7/8" x 6 tpi with #4 Morse Tapers
in head and tailstocks.

I worked on one of these Olivers at a former job and wished it had VFD
but the boss was too cheap.
The motor was a humongous 5 hp, 750 rpm old chunk of metal and copper. I
hated those flat belts, never could get a decent splice. It didn't have
a gearbox, so probably not the exact model--the lowest speed was about
200 rpm which is why I wished for VFD since we were turning up to 20"
dia. hardwood log chunks into African-style drumshells. I also turned a
couple eccentric posts for the front porch of our house.

There's a simple way to brake any induction motor (single or three
phase) by injection of DC current into one of the windings. With some
type of current control, you can use a car battery as long as it's not
more than twice the rated AC current of the motor. I don't have the
specifics nearby, the info I have is in a book by Tubal Caine--part of
the Workshop Practice Series published in the UK. I'll look it up if asked.

I'd like to find plans for a cheap DIY VFD to run a 1.5 hp 3 phase motor
I have lying around. Guess I should head over to rec.crafts.metalworking
and post a query.

Ken Grunke
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/