The Natural Philosopher

Default Help wiring a dimmer switch please.

JohnB wrote:

Hi

I am reasonably competent with basic eleccy DIY - fit socket extensions,
wired up my shed & garage etc - but i've never fitted a dimmer switch !

Anyway the one we have in the house has gone pear shaped and the missus
wants to keep it and got a new one from B&Q. Instructions are useless.

The old one has 2 connections one marked "Com" which has the thick red wire
and one of the thin red wires connected; and one marked "L" with the other
thin red wire connected, - usual earth to face plate.

The new one has 3 connectors L1, L2 & then another with a strange symbol on
it - as far as I can glean from the instructions it is for a transformer (?)
- low voltage supply ?

Have we got the "wrong" dimmer switch ? If not how should I wire it up.

Thanks for any tips.
--
JB - replace myname with john(dot)brennand

Dimm,ers just go in series with the live supply, with the neutral
carried straight through.

Your new one has a chanegover switch - thats all - bet its a push on
push off switch rather than a rortary click ...thes can be used with
anothetr changeover swicth for two way control...

Try the 'odd' terminal and eiher of the other two. In fact the only way
to wire it wrong is to use L1 and L2, in which case it simply wont work.

Polarity is not important, since its simly AC passthrough.