Peter Teubel

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 17:15:22 -0400, "Jon Endres, PE" t wrote:

.... like, for example, an Oliver patternmaker's lathe, or similar vintage
monster. I'm curious to hear how well you have adapted it (if at all) to
modern accessories and techniques such as scroll chucks, bowl savers,
aftermarket toolrests, speed control, etc.

I have a Faye & Scott (Dexter, ME) pattern makers lathe from the early 1900s. I bought it from a fellow turner who had the spindle
threaded to 1 1/4 x 8 (RH in board and LH outboard). Replaced the flat belts sheeves with a v-belt sheeve. A 2hp motor went thru a
jackshaft assembly to give a wide variety of speeds. Once I got it, I replaced the jackshaft with a 2HP VFD. I have 8ft between
centers with a 16" swing. Outboard, I have a 38" swing (which is what I use 99% of the time). The rest of the bed is home to one
of my Jet 1236 lathes. I can remove it with 4 bolts quite easily when I have a long spindle job to do on the big lathe. I use a
Nova banjo/toolrest between centers and it has a homemade banjo with MANY homemade toolsrests for the outboard side.

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com