Steve Wolfe

.... like, for example, an Oliver patternmaker's lathe, or similar vintage
monster. I'm curious to hear how well you have adapted it (if at all) to
modern accessories and techniques such as scroll chucks, bowl savers,
aftermarket toolrests, speed control, etc.

A while ago, I saw the web site of a guy that does architectural columns,
and built a lathe large enough to do columns that were several feet in
diameter, and something like 15 or 20 feet long. To rough out the columns,
he used something like a 3- or 5-horse motor attached to an 18" circular
blade, mounted on rails to slide back and forth. I wish I could find the
link now! Maybe someone else has it...

steve