George

Yep, some folks get a kick out of other things. I have no problem with
that, as long as I can do what I like.

But, in reality, isn't that embellishment pretty much the same as "Turned to
(X) thickness, polished to (X) grit, finished with (X) and buffed?" None
of that really counts when it comes to holding the popcorn - might even make
things worse.

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message

When the purpose of turning wood is relegated to a minor portion of the
process, then I think the object assumes an identity beyond that of a

wholly
turned item, e.g., a bowl. Rather it becomes a prepared surface, much

like
a gessoed canvas on wooden stretcher bars, only three dimensional. It is
then carved, burned, painted, distressed, broken, cracked, stressed,
stitched, magnetized, electrified and in general, made most unbowl-like.